06/09/2000

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (by J K Rowling)

'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' is the fifth book in the popular series by JK Rowling.

Harry and friends are beginning to grow up: there are a few tiny hints about hormones and girl-boy relationships, though far less than would be expected from typical books about 14-year-olds. But it makes it possibly more suitable to a slightly older audience than the earlier books, which were recommended for age 9-11.

I read it aloud to my sons who were 11 and 13 shortly after it was published, and while we enjoyed much of the humour and the clever plotting, we thought it rather too dark, and didn't much like the ending.

However, when I re-read it later on, I liked it better - see my review in 2005 for a more comprehensive account.

No comments: