6 Sept 2000

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (by J K Rowling)

'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' is the fourth book in the popular series by JK Rowling. We have been enjoying the books so much that we decided to buy each new one as soon as it's published, in hardback. And this is a huge tome!

Harry and friends are beginning to grow up in this book. There are a few little hints about hormones and girl-boy relationships, though far less than would be expected from typical books about 14-year-olds. But it means that I consider this book more suitable to a slightly older audience than the earlier books, which were recommended for age 8-11.

Having said that, I read it aloud to my sons who were 11 and 13 when it arrived, since none of us could agree who would read it first.  It made a very good read-aloud.  We all enjoyed much of the the writing, and appreciated the humour and the clever plotting. Once again we were all surprised when it was finally revealed who had been 'against' Harry in this book.

On the other hand, we thought the book rather too dark for enjoyable light reading. And we didn't much like the ending.

Still, I'm sure it will be read and loved by millions...

(Note that  when I re-read it five years later, I liked it better - see my review of 'Goblet of Fire' in 2005 for a more comprehensive account.)

No comments: